Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Next Life Farm

It was a cool, wet morning here in western PA so I decided to visit my friends at Next Life Farm. My mission was to check out their new "High Tunnel" that they constructed. Ken and Beth have been growing fun things in greenhouses and high tunnels for several years. How many, I am not exactly sure but we have known each other for quite a while. High tunnels, or hoophouses, are unheated greenhouses that can help market gardeners extend their growing season so that they can improve the profitability of their farms. Ken and Beth are Certified Organic growers. They sell their produce at the Farmers@Firehouse in Pittsburgh's Strip District on Saturday mornings May thru November, Indiana County Farmers Market,  and thru Penns Corners Farm Alliance. http://www.pennscorner.com/ 

Beth's giant Rosemary. That's Bonnie standing next to it.


Beautiful Swiss Chard - Bright Lights

Bonnie stood next to this giant Rosemary 'Arp'. Beth said it has been growing for about 6 years. I told her if I had been planning something for dinner that called for fresh Rosemary, I would be cutting some of that. It was beautiful, and fragrant. This Swiss Chard has been growing in the cool greenhouse since last Fall. I wanted to start eating!!! Ken and Beth grow some of the most beautiful produce. They have a wonderful selection of heirloom tomatoes.The nasturtiums are picked and sold as edible flowers. Nasturtium blossoms have a peppery flavor that are fantastic in a salad of mixed greens. Scented geranium blossoms are also edible. We once made a Rose Scented cake once. It had a delightful hint of rose.

Yes, Beth's nasturtiums are blooming today.


Rose Scented Geranium

That was a great field trip today!!! Thanks Ken and Beth for sharing your wonderful world with us.



1 comment:

  1. I think an addiction to fresh things runs in our family. I bought a basil plant today so I can keep it in the kitchen and cook with it!

    ReplyDelete